Excess energy spending on phone when in inventory screen; portrait mode issues

You have found a bug in the game? You can report it here! Please provide your device and your OS (e.g. Samsung XII, Android 7.2.1 or iPhone 8S, iOS 12.4.1).
beholder

Excess energy spending on phone when in inventory screen; portrait mode issues

Post by beholder » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:28 pm

When in inventory window on a phone in portrait mode then the game in the background seems to be still fully rendered although the screen is pretty much fully covered by the inventory window. This is evident when I put the phone into landscape mode as in this screenshot: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qndwfkZ-PrkPtN2yA2NtczzAjmbrsW6g

The game drains so much energy! The options/settings/load/save window works exactly the same way. Ideally, when in portait mode, the background behind the inventory window should be black and without objects, so they don't have to be rendered. Or perhaps Unity supports some kind of occlusion that would mitigate the additional cycles spent on objects in the background.

A more advanced solution would mitigate this issue also in the portait mode; you would have to either put the bg to complete black or make the inventory window cover the whole screen and make its icons somewhat bigger. Right now the game is pretty much unplayable in portrait mode due to inventory window not stretching to the whole screen and icons not being big enough.
Mario

Re: Excess energy spending on phone when in inventory screen; portrait mode issues

Post by Mario » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:52 am

Can you please send me a screenshot of your portrait mode?

Thank you very much
Mario
Author of Lootbox RPG and Silversword.
Mario

Re: Excess energy spending on phone when in inventory screen; portrait mode issues

Post by Mario » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:10 pm

Thank you.

I am aware of the energy issue and I will try to improve that.
But I cannot see why the game should be unplayable in portrait mode. Can you by chance explain what exactly the problem is? I have designed all UI elements (buttons, texts etc.) at a size where they should be accessible without problem.

kind regards
Mario
beholder

Post by beholder » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:35 pm

When on phone, the portait mode is fine for playing. Images of the items are pretty big because the height of the phone is used for height scaling.

But when I switch it around to landscape mode, the height of phone is used for width and width of phone (the smaller side) is used for height of the game. You can see this happening in the screenshot. The height of the inventory/stats window in landscape mode is at most 1/2 (maybe even less) of the height in portrait mode. The width/height of the inventory window DOES NOT scale to the screen really well in landscape mode (on phone). Furthermore, the width of the window should be obviously much wider; there should be less rows and more columns of items in the landscape mode.

I mean on a big tablet screen this is a non-issue, because the item icons are still big enough for fingers. But on smaller phone screens (5'' and lower) the icons pretty much can't be worked with fingers.

So I propose to rework the inventory/stats window to scale to the width of the landscape mode a bit better. How do you do this is really your thing, even if you do nothing is fine, if you are ok with people on phones playing in portrait only.
Mario

Post by Mario » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:54 am

Thank you very much, now I understand.
Landscape mode will be removed with the next update. Perhaps it will be supported in a future release again when I have the time to rework the user interface.

Kind regards
Mario
beholder

Post by beholder » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:59 am

Oh, no no no, please dont do it. Tablet users can use it with no problems. You would take away a feature from them. You can include an option to allow landscape mode in the settings. That would be great.